Built in 1952 & reportedly named after Roger Forrester, father of legendary NZFS hunter, Rex Forrester. Roger had learnt how to dress timber using a broad axe in the South Island & he used these skills, alongside a group of cullers he led to make the cladding for this slab hut. Another story reports Rogers Hut was named after Rex Forrester's first-born son. The open fire has been removed & replaced with a wood burner but the open chimney remains. Bill Dorset reports the hut originally had a hollowed out earth floor, with punga fronds for comphy bunks, & friendly weta's for company. The covered deck was added in 1995. Edit Hut